Music Makes the Book

Do love movies? Of course you do! Do you love your Ipod? Of course you do! Do you ever walk down the street and wish you had a soundtrack playing around you to make you feel like you're in a movie!?...............Oh. That's just me.

Anyways, the point is, music is important! Did you know a science a class  in NY introduced songs as a way to memorize scientific equations? Because people respond to music and are able to remember it far better than when trying to memorize flashcards. When we watch movies, music can make or break a film. Beautiful movie with a terrible score? You remember the terrible score and the good acting. Horrible movie but beautiful music? You forgive the movie a little bit because the music was so good. Music moves us as much as writing. Which is why as a writer, listening to music as you write is such a good idea!

Now, I understand that music when writing isn't for everyone. My own mom, who is a writer, can't stand to have music playing. She can't even stand to hear the sound of another keyboard clacking when writing. I think if she could, she'd write in a padded room. Personally, I don't know how she does it! I need music to write. If I don't have it I've found my scenes to end up emotionally flat, or a setting as accurately described. I need music. I need it like a homesteader needs land, like a toad needs a kiss from a princess. Like an empty hand needs a pina colada.

For me, when I listen to music I can see an image in my head so much clearer--feel the emotion I want the scene to get across much better. For instance when I need to write a scene of a strange, misty forest, I need to listen to music that strikes the mood or end up with a bunch of words that sound close but don't quite hit the mark. So I listen to music. I close my eyes and let the sound of harps or fiddles and cellos wash over me to help evoke the low whit mist creeping along golden leaves and black twisting roots.

See that? See those beautiful words? I was listening to music. If I'd not been listening I wouldn't have been able to make you feel and see. And sentences should make you feel and see! So try it! Try listening to a musical score, especially if words distract you.

Try this exercise: With your fingers and the ready and Word open, put on a musical track and then close your eyes. Listen to the music and then write a scene that  you feel matches the mood of the music. It can be any scene that has nothing to with your book or anything! Just try it and see if you notice a difference in your word choices or writing style! I know I tend to find a difference!

So how about you? Do you need music to inspire you when you write? Do you play the same song over and over again? Or do you need absolute soul crushing silence to write? Does music make it impossible for you to hear the voices in your head? This writer wants to know!

Comments