How To Make It As a Writer: SAY YES

Hello readers and writers! I have a question for you:

How many times do you hear yourself say 'no' and 'I can't' to things in your life every day? Go on, think about it. I'll wait.

I know you're doing this right now. I CAN SEE YOU.

If you're like me you probably say it a lot. Like, a lot. Enough that you can't even count it on all of your fingers and toes combined. But here's the thing, when you say 'no' or 'I can't' or 'I could never', you're slamming the door  of opportunity shut. Now, I'm not saying you need to go say yes to the druggie down street or the friend that suggests you rob a bank.

That's illegal you silly person! 

But I am saying that you need to change your mind set. If your instant reaction to anything offered or suggested to you (even a compliment about yourself from yourself) is 'no', then you're big trouble. And I'm totally guilty of it. However at the tail end of last year I promised that with the new year I was going to say 'yes' to more things. I was going to grab life by the horns and tell it that I wasn't backing down.

So life threw a ton of stuff at me that I could have said no to. That I usually would say no to, because I didn't feel I deserved it.  Except this time I didn't. I said yes. And life kinda stood there and didn't know what to do with me other than give me more awesome stuff because it was so confused.


As an artist (but for this blog I'll say a writer) it is so hard to say yes to things. Yes to a compliment, yes to an opportunity, yes to admitting you like your work. However the more you say 'no' the more that mindset seeps into your real life. You start feeling down about yourself, and that flows in your personality, and people see that personality and think that maybe you don't deserve the thing they were thinking about offering you. And then you don't get offered anything. BECAUSE YOU SAID NO TO YOURSELF.

I'm not going to lie. I'm going to be brutally honest with you guys. Because someone has to, right? As a writer you will get nowhere in life if you say no to people or technology because it scares you. You will remain anonymous and your work unrecognized. This is the era of digitalization and globalization my friends. You need to not feel guilty about accepting offers from friends who can give you a leg up. That's how it works. And in turn you help them. It's a mutual using and no one's feelings are hurt. BUT YOU HAVE TO ACCEPT IT.

You have to say yes. Practice with me. Yes. Yes. Yeeeeeees.

Copy Amy! 
Got it? Good! If you want to make it in this writing world say yes. Say yes to the small things, the big things, the compliments....all of it. Because when you start saying yes, wonderful amazing things happen and opportunities suddenly start appearing as if by magic.

It's almost  as good as standing on a scale and watching the numbers go down instead of up.

Almost.

So say yes to things.

How about you guys? Have you guys changed your mind set to be more positive and say yes to things and seen things pan out? Tell us your story! Be a beacon (I almost spelled bacon. woops!) of light to others! Show them with your story what saying 'yes' did for you! 






Comments