Updates & News Galore!

Hey there! It's a been a month and a half since we last spoke! how are you? Pull up a chair, drink this mint julep I just tried to make. What's that? Oh no, it's not a julep, it's just rum and coke. What've you been up to? What's that? You want to know what I've been up to as well?

That's so kind of you to ask on, this, my blog about myself! I guess I'll tell you since you're so sweet!


Now, the weather might not agree with me here in Southern California where everything is on fire but it's totally fine, but summer is over. Science and the orbit of earth has dictated that it is, in fact, fall now. My favorite season next to spring! But we're not here to talk about seasons.

This summer was filled with a lot of ups and downs, stop and goes. Mainly it consisted of me not working for two months but taking the time to write a novel.

Which I didn't.

At. ALL.

My muse abandoned me, my creative streak was gone, the well was empty and the field was on fire. It wasn't a pretty picture.

I had really wanted to write 3 novellas and it never happened. Depression and stress set in hard and didn't let go.

And then I got a new job.



And low and behold, when I got a job my muse decided to come back from her vacation all dewy skinned and sparkly-eyed and filled with ideas. Because it wouldn't do for her to stick around through the summer, would it?

Those ideas led to me writing and completing two children's chapter books in a month. I'm currently working on the third one. And after I've gotten them all polished, I'm rolling up my sleeves, putting on my big girl leggings--along with a glass of wine--and submitting them to agents. Will an agent take them? I don't know. But I sure hope so, because honestly I'm kinda proud of them.

I mean, if you wrote about a little girl living in the future with dog eating plants growing on your living room wall and meeting a being who cultivates magical space gardens, would't you want to see them published?

I'm also dreading it. I played the let's-find-an-agent game before and it was not fun, let me tell you. It's like playing Russian-roulette only the bullets are big fat 'no's that are aimed right at your tender little ego and soul. And the gun's loaded except for one slot. Did we forget to mention?

But I'm willing to take the chance. Because I have to keep moving forward. My writing journey thus far has been a lot of one step forward, two steps back. For every good thing that happens--no matter how small--something comes around to smack me back down again. It's tiring getting back up.

But if I didn't love writing, if I didn't want to see my characters on paper, I wouldn't be doing this.

So far my YA novel Brenna Morgan and The Iron Key is out. I was able to go to an amazing LARP Con this year called WyrdCon and the owners of the Con were kind enough to give me a table so I could sell my books! I made friends, I sold an obscene amount of books (which warmed me to the bottom of my heart), I got to talk Irish folklore, and of course I LARPed!

Man I WISH I looked this cool! 

Another book out of mine, is my novella, The Bone Dancer. It's the first of four. It's my baby. My pride and joy. And the other novellas have been put on pause because, well, my writers pride took a bit of a hit and I just kinda lost the drive for the time being. I'm hoping it'll pick back up soon, because I love that magical desert world SO much.

I'm intending to being a new series hereon this blog about Irish Mythology, because I found that a lot--and I do mean a lot--of blogs and websites have completely butchered the Irish mythology and folklore. Because Irish gods are the same as the Welsh and the Scottish right? Same thing!

.......................no.

So starting Oct. 1st (which, yes, is this Sunday!) I'll be spotlighting different mythological beings and discussing Irish mythology and folklore. Because my GOD did I do a lot of research. I even had my Irish friends having to go to professors to translate ancient Irish. I once scoured the internet for translations from an archaic poem just so I could see if it had a description of a Tuath De Danaa's dinning hall. 

That's how much I love it!

Hopefully you'll love it too. Because that's what's going up Sunday whether you like it or not! (But hopefully you like it!)

(your faces right now after hearing that statement and slowly backing away)

I'm also going to be updating my booktube channel more frequently! If you didn't know I have one, I do! I'll post a link at the bottom for you, because I know you all want to see my magical blue hair (or at least that's what everyone on Twitter says....)!

So that's my summer in review. Wanting to write, but not really doing so. Losing a job but gaining it. Writing 2 books in a month. Worrying over finding agents. One step forward, one and a half back. One of these days I'm going to take 40 leaps forward and only 1 step back!

How about you guys? Were you productive this summer? Did you get any books read? Any written? How do you handle dry writing spells? Does your creativity leave when you think you have all the time in the world to write? THIS FRIEND WANTS TO KNOW!

---------------------
---------------------

Books & Drinks :My Booktube Channel where we talk books, writing, comics, and all the fun things us reading geeks like talking about!

If you'd like to purchase my Ya Irish Mythology book, Brenna Morgan and the Iron Key: Click Here

If you'd like to purchase my magical desert novella, The Bone Dancer: Click Here




Comments