3 Reasons Why I'm NOT joining NaNoWriMo

Hello everyone! This post was going to be up yesterday, and then today, much earlier, except things happened to me that prevented me from doing so.

Like waking up to an e-mail saying I no longer have a job.

Ouch.

This wouldn't have been so bad, had I already not felt like I'd had the rug--hell the whole freaking floor--tugged from under me.

Lessons and changes are painful 8/10 times. So I numbly picked myself up and moved forward. Because what else do you do?

And I would have had the post up earlier today as well, except I was busy frolicking in a park with my friends adorable child and taking her to antique shops to try on 1950's clothes. Because that's what you do with children right?

But this isn't about my how insane my life is right now. No. Now is the time to admit, here and now, for all the internet to see:

I won't be joining NaNoWriMo. 

your faces right now. I know. I'm spying on you and can see it.

That's right, I won't be joining the thousand upon thousands of writers--published or un-published--in this years writing extravaganza. This special time of year when all the writers of the world collect together on twitter and snap chat and blogs and vlogs to bemoan (or celebrate) their manuscripts and post cryptic memes and gifs.

I won't be joining in. I know you're all shocked, and confused. Possibly dazed. Possibly you're brandishing your weapons. But wait, before you do that, let me explain!

Here are the 3 reasons I'm not joining NaNoWriMo:

Reason #1: I never complete more than 2 pages 
Seriously. NEVER. I've tried two years in a row and all I had to show for it was two pages one year and two paragraphs the next year. For some reason, whenever I've done NaNo I get intimidated and just....don't write. And it's awful. I get all these book ideas I could write, or finish, and then thesecond I slap the NaNoWriMo sticker on it, my drive and motivation does this:



Reason #2: My Muse decides this a great time to take a breather. For the rest. Of. The MONTH. 

Seriously. If I so much as hint  that I want to join NaNo all of y creativity leaves. All of my joy for the love of writing. Gone. For some reason my muse dislikes NaNo and will actively leave me faster than Bastian leaves on an adventure. And you guys, I need my muse. She is the sole purpose I get anything done in life.

My muse as she rides off back into the land of Good Ideas

Reason #3: I get more done when not doing NaNo
I wrote the last half of my novel in 2 months. I wrote one children's chapter book in one night, and the next one in 3 days. I don't need NaNo to push me or to keep me accountable. And it always seems when I use NaNo to make myself accountable it backfires. I get more done throughout the year without it, than with it.


Now, that isn't to say that NaNo isn't great. It totally is! Famous books have been picked up because of it, people who thought they could never finish something found it was exactly the thing to get them to finish--and my god do you make the most amazing friends!

I wish NaNo worked for me. I really do. I miss out on all the cool kids. I miss out on badges and fun stuff and I definitely feel like a loser and part of the cool kids group for not joining.

But I'd rather write without the pressure. And my muse apparently doesn't like it either. And we can't displease the muse can we? CAN WE?

How about you guys? Did you join NaNoWriMo this year? Does NaNo help you? Or do you also find it hard to do NaNo? TELL ME YOUR STORIES! 

----------REMINDER: USE #fairiefriday TOMORROW ON TWITTER AT 12:30 PST (aka california time) FOR A LIVE Q&A CHAT WITH ME ABOUT IRISH MYTHOLOGY! THE TOPIC WILL BE ON THE BLOG POST THAT COMES OUT PRIOR TO THE CHAT! WE'LL BE DISCUSSING "THE WOOING OF ETAIN"----------
Follow me on:

Twitter: Katie_Masters29
Instagram: Katie Masters
Facebook: Katie Masters






Comments