How To Handle Agent Rejections (that doesn't require feeding your manuscript to a dragon)

Hello Friends! Did you know it's the last week of March? Because I sure didn't! If you follow me on twitter you know that I'm constantly reading and speaking with other writers--published, unpublished, self published and everything in between. And I noticed a trend of people talking (and posting) about something I was going to be posting about anyway--rejection.
apparently it's rejection season
(lucky us!)


So today on my blog we're going to talk about a spin on an writing subject that never seems to get old: Getting rejected by agents (or even online publishing houses). Most people bemoan getting rejected--but I want to be more for you. I WANT TO SHOW YOU HOW TO GET OVER THE STING OF REJECTION.

Now, if you have thin skin maybe don't read this. In fact, maybe don't read any of my articles. But if you've been rejected time and again and have the skin of at LEAST an armadillo and are feeling particularly hurt this time around then hang around to read this!

Because sometimes even us armadillos get smacked on our underside and not our cool tough shells.



REJECTION SUCKS


I mean it SUPER sucks. You know that of course. That's why you're reading these words. Because you've perhaps had one too many rejections lately. And maybe you were even one of those super lucky people that got an agent that even TOLD YOU what they didn't like about your work.

Do you know how many arms and legs I would give to get even ONE rejection letter that said where I sucked or could improve? (a hint: I would sacrifice more than just my own. How do you feel about writing with one hand?) 

I've only ever gotten personally turned down once--and I was incredibly lucky that it was an encouraging one in which I was told I had a great story and strong voice but that her list was filled but to PLEASE NOT GIVE UP because it was great. It kept me going and applying for 2 more years until I *gasp* did get my book picked up (Oh hi, did you know I was actually a published author? Surprise!)
But like everyone else on the internet I've had more than my share of rejections. All of them  were your standard 'no response' or 'dear author whoever you are, thank you for applying but at this time...'. It's SO disheartening to know that you and your story weren't even worth an actual response from a person and instead got passed on to some automated message that doesn't even bother to put your name at the top and was read by some poor intern and not the actual agent you were applying to.

And in the past few weeks I've been hearing the rounds of rejections again on twitter and on blogs:

"I got rejected again"

"I haven't heard anything back from XYZ agent, and they said they responded quickly."

"Why do I bother trying? This is the 10th one this month."

"Katie, do you know any wardrobes that go to Narnia so I can just join a war there and never do this again?"

Sadly I don't own any wardrobes to Narnia, or portals to galaxies far far away. If I did, I wouldn't be typing here to you.

Rejection from agents sucks because it's like your boyfriend who got your hopes up said "it's not you, it's me." Sure, it was absolutely your fault (what I'm not bitter. Shhh), but it still feels like your fault and that you did something wrong.

YOU'RE CRUSHED.

 But like Sam's dad in Sixteen Candles says



We know it's hard, we know we're going to get rejected, but our hearts still hold out hope like a 16 year old girl with her first big crush. You know the guy is probably out of your league but you kinda can't help but feel hope anyway.

And as writers we're going to get rejected. CONSTANTLY. Even famous authors who we admire get their work turned away. That's right. Not even famous people are immune to the 'thanks but no thanks' from agents after fame.

So what do you do when you and all of your writer friends have been rejected for the millionth time and you feel like giving up. Like really throwing in the towel and throwing your manuscript to a manuscript eating dragon.

Fear not my armadillo! I'm going to let you in on the one sentence I rely on in these dark and pitchfork-filled times.

Are you ready? I'm going to put it in caplocks so you can REALLY burn it into your retina.

It's okay that they didn't accept your story, because it's going to land in the hands of exactly the right person, and this person wasn't it.



Don't lie to me, I know you're making that face at me right now and getting ready to throw a pitchfork at me.

But here me out! I swear I'm right!

It doesn't seem like a great phrase at face value. But I promise it's actually true and has gotten me through many a dark day. I've been turned down and ignored so many times it's almost embarrassing. And every time I wanted to give up and never submit to an agent or online publishing house again, I told my self that phrase, to remind myself that somewhere out there, and eventually, I would find my perfect match.

In my day-job life I have had instances where I thought I was a prefect fit for a job and the interview went so well and then I'd get the call I didn't get the job. I'd be devastated and knew that I would never find something better than that job. We had been a perfect match! And then a week or two later I'd interview at a new job and they would offer me the job and I would realize that this  job was really truly better than the other one. THIS job was a perfect match.

The best is yet to come. The right agent will come along.

And yeah, it might not seem like it when we're in the throws of despair, but it's true. Getting a no from an agent (as freaking sucky as it is) doesn't mean you suck as a writer. Not even by a long a shot. It means a lot of things, but mainly it means this:

Your work was not meant to be with them because there is someone better and perfect for you and your manuscript waiting to meet you. You just don't know it yet.

My first novel, Brenna Morgan and the Iron Key, was shopped around for two years.  And I was so discouraged I swore that the last people I was sending it to would be my last and then I'd toss it to the manuscript eating dragon.

And not even a week after deciding this, BAM, I was picked up by Fire & Ice Ya.

Life is going to say no to you a lot. Like, a lot. 




But just know that your book being rejected? NOT YOUR FAULT. In fact you know what? I'm going to give you an honest to god list right now. (And you all know how much I love lists).


HERE IS A LIST IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER OF WHY AN AGENT SAID NO:



- You're MS isn't about vampires, angels, werewolves, or dystopian settings with a girl named Kitress Neverdeen offered herself as tribute to invading aliens

- You're book might be like 50 others (don't take offense to this. Sometimes a thing happens in the industry where everyone is given the same dream within hours of each other and all of you write it at the same time. First one to finish wins. Sorry. Those are the rules and I don't make them. Blame the matrix) 


- You're book isn't actually what the agent represents (seriously this happens a lot. People don't always research what the agent has taken on as clients. Maybe check them out, huh?)

- The agent isn't interested in anything they said they were interested in, even though your book was exactly up their supposed ally (again, what? I'm not bitter. no.) 

- You didn't actually have anyone edit your novel and assumed it was perfect after the first draft.

- Your MS is really different and out there and doesn't adhere to the normal 'blockbuster storylines' that agents are told to look for and accept. It's too different--and different terrifies publishing houses.


But just remember, somewhere out there is an agent or online publishing house waiting for you and will be the peanut butter to your jam.

It's going to land in the right hands, even if it doesn't seem like it right now.


What do you do when you find yourself on the edge after yet another agent rejection? Do you carry on? Do you wallow in ice cream? Do you have another phrase you use that makes you feel better? THIS AUTHOR WANTS TO KNOW (and probably other hurting, freshly rejected writers)







Comments

  1. Great tips. One day I will at least get myself to this stage x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you will! I believe in you Susan! And if you ever need a beta reader you know who to call! ;)

      Delete

Post a Comment