YA AUTHOR SPOTLIGHT: TARYN BASHFORD

Happy Halloween writer family!

What's that?

Why yes, it has been a while since I've updated! I'm sorry! Life happened along with some international travel and a litttttle bit of a writing nervous breakdown.

Apparently nervous breakdowns result in being able to only handle the bare minimum of life, and the firs thing to get chopped is writing! Who knew!?

But now that I'm back in action and you're all stuffed full of candy and possibly in a sugar coma, here's some fun reading for you all with a super special guest!

That's right friends, you get to hear words from someone else that isn't me!

I'd like to introduce you to Taryn Bashford, an amazing woman from Down Under whose YA book, The Harper Effect, was recently published!

Taryn is an AMAZING advocate for reading, libraries, and teens. She also happens to be the mom of teens, and if that doesn't help make her a great candidate for YA writing, I don't know what is!

So without further adieu, here's a fun interview with Taryn that gets down to the REALLY IMPORTANT QUESTIONS about writing, like what sort of snacks you bring to sleep overs and should you wear pajamas or business suits when writing!?


INTERVIEW WITH  TARYN BASHFORD





 What’s the hardest part about writing YA books for you?

Stopping. What I mean is that I could easily become a hermit, stuck in my writing cave for days. I find it really hard to stop and remember to actually live a life – my life and not the life of my characters. Luckily, I have two busy teens and a naughty dog to keep me balanced!

2    What’s the easiest part about writing YA books?

Drinking lots of tea and nibbling on cookies whilst writing? That probably doesn’t count. I guess I love living in the world of teens again – their lives are just beginning. I love that YA generally ends with hope. Well, that’s the type of YA I write. I love to close a book and feel hopeful, entertained, and all squishy inside. When you write about subjects like that, that hope transfers into your own life. While I do touch on edgier subjects like drink driving, because it’s a reality that our teens are faced with and I believe it should be discussed and out in the open so our teens can read and talk about it to help them form opinions and create solutions, I still always like to end on a note of hope.

      Do you wear pajamas or business clothes when you write?

Pajama’s for sure. Most of the time it’s because I forget to get dressed. Then my teens get home from school and it seems kind of late to bother changing. If it rains and they need a last-minute lift home from school, I’ll drive in my pajamas. It’s for this reason I don’t choose pajamas that are maybe baby blue with pink fairies or pink with pineapples. Although they would be my preference! I keep it plain – black usually. Then no one knows I’m driving around in my PJs! It’s all very carefully planned out 


What’s some advice you’ve tried to give your characters that they refuse to listen to?

They really lead me around by the nose when I’m in their world. I rarely know what they’ll do next. So I’ve given up giving advice out inside their world. But occasionally they jump into my world. Usually when I’m cooking dinner. As I’ve said many times before, including on the blurb to The Harper Effect, it’s a real nuisance as Harper can’t cook and Jacob is forever sticking his fingers into the cheese sauce – macaroni cheese is his favorite meal. I’ve tried to advise them about how to cook – I was once a chalet chef in Colorado for an entire ski season – but as usual, they think they know best and rarely listen.
5    
Are there any other genres you want to try your hand at?

I’d love to write fantasy as I absolutely love reading fantasy YA, and perhaps I’ll do that one day. The idea of building an entirely different world, one that has pink sky, different laws, and even doesn’t only contain humans, is hugely appealing. So much so, that I’m a little worried I might just stay there and never come back! I could so live in Hogwarts for the rest of my life.

Jane Austen or Charlotte Bronte? And WHY?

NO! YOU CAN’T MAKE ME CHOOSE. Why oh why?  I love the romance and tragedy of Bronte, but the sharp wit and social commentary of Jane Austen grabs me too. I’m sorry. I just can’t choose.


Do you listen to music when you write?

Absolutely yes. And I match it to the mood of the scene I’m writing. What I listen to is very varied as I am a classically trained musician. I once wanted to be a concert pianist! I also played the violin and clarinet. Therefore, much of what I listen to is classical from Strauss to Beethoven and then also opera. I love the drama of opera, and especially male opera singers. I recently announced that my second novel (unnamed) is coming out in 2019 and it’s set in the world of elite musicians. I guess you can see where I got my material from then! However, I do enjoy modern music too – rap music from Eminem, pop music from The Backstreet Boys, Adele, Pink, Ed Sheeran…anything that makes me feel some deep emotion whether it’s sadness and regret or joy and hope.
7 
  
Last but not least: If you’re at a sleep over, what is the food and beverage that you would bring to share?

Sharing is caring! It would have to come in two courses. Starting with red wine and cheese and biscuits with green olives on the side, salted popcorn, sweet potato crisps. Oh and taramasalata dip with French baguette. Then when the munchies hit, it’s chocolate all the way – anything goes – Belgian to M&Ms – and they all mix very well with a tipple of creamy Baileys. Can you tell I’ve got this really well planned out? When are you coming over for a sleepover?

(Taryn, I'll be over for that sleep just as soon as some big publishing house offers me enough money to actually purchase a plane ticket across the very wide pond! Or you know, if that money tree I planted in the backyard ever decides to grow...)



******
IF TARYN SOUNDS AMAZING (I know, she does) CHECK OUT HER BOOK OR HIT HER UP ON TWITTER! SHE'S A GREAT FRIEND AND A GREAT CHEERLEADER IF YOU NEED ONE! I'M HAPPY TO SAY NOT ONLY IS SHE A FRIEND, SHE'S A GREAT #writerstable FAMILY MEMBER TOO!

IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS FOR TARYN FEEL FREE TO ASK HERE IN THE COMMENTS HERE!

Links to her social media and book down below!






Comments